Thursday, August 21, 2008

Saving a buck and the Environment!

It's time I made sure I told everyone about one of the greatest resources in your community! Freecycle.org is a website that you can go to and give things away that you don't need. What happens is, once you sign up you can post up things you want to get rid of. Everyone in the group who has signed up will get an email about it, including you! You'll also get emails of people in your community giving their stuff away! (You can opt to not receive any emails if you just want to just give away.) This community based webgroup has been invaluable to me over the past several years. When I was pregnant, I got tons of maternity clothes. And later tons of baby toys and clothes and whatever else popped up that I needed or could used. (You can also send an email asking for something specific, and if somebody has it they will give it to you.) I just can't say enough good about it. You declutter your house, and keep stuff out of the landfills, and save money too! For example, just this week, somebody posted they were giving away a bunch of formula samples. So I emailed that I could use them, and they picked me out of the people who responded! They gave me their address at that point, and I went and got them! This drive was about 5 miles from my house, and saved me a bundle on formula!! (Sounds almost like a Geico commercial!)



It's everywhere! Even overseas, my friends! So, I encourage everyone to sign up in their communities. You'll be glad you did! You get to know a lot of cool people that way too. (I also became better acquainted with the area.) Like I said, invaluable!

3 comments:

Outsideofacat said...

that's pretty cool. i'll check it out. btw 33 days until i'm back in the US...

Emily Petty said...

I always wanted to try freecycle and tried to find it/sign up once and couldn't figure it out for our area! I should have asked you!! It's overseas you say...how do I find it?

Meg said...

We love freecycle! We got our cool oven from freecycle. Also a sectional couch and a mattress.