Sunday, December 6, 2009

Traditions and recipes

Last year I posted some of our Christmas Traditions, specifically celebrating Sinter Klaasje. Click here for a quick refresher. We celebrated again this year, of course! Here's what Sinter Klaas brought us-



Some Diego for Aaron, Hello Kitty for Elena, building blocks to share, a camera for mommy and a movie for daddy! (Sorry about the yucky-looking fireplace.)

If you are curious about how the children's song goes, watch the old school "Miracle on 34th Street" with Maureen O'Hara. There's a scene when a little dutch girl goes to see Santa and they sing the song. Very cute, although it's quite obvious the little actress is 100% American. Here are the lyrics they sing in the movie:

"Sinterklaas gepoentje
Gooi wat in mijn schoentje
Doet maar in het haastje
Dank U Sinterklaasje"


Also, last year I neglected to post some of the traditional recipes my grandparents passed down to us. These are primarily Norwegian favorites.


#1 Lefsa


Peel and boil 6 potatoes
1 cube of butter
2 cups of flour
Mix all together and roll the dough in flour. Cut in size of a plate, continue doing so until all the dough is used. Dry fry individually in a skillet on medium-high heat, until both sides are browned. Stack and serve with any topping desired. Even with beef stroganoff on top!


#2 Ollibollen

Take a box of any cake doughnut mix and mix in currants, raisins, or dried fruit mix. Roll in small (1-inch) balls and drop in a deep-fat fryer with hot oil until golden brown. Remove from oil and once cooled, drop in bag of powdered sugar and shake around. The ball only needs to be lightly coated with powdered sugar. Enjoy! (This seems similar to Russian Teacakes to me.)

Share some of your cool or unusual traditions please! And be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom for some holiday fun!

7 comments:

OurLittleFamily said...

What a cool tradition!

jaacs said...

I love reading about the traditions you are passing on to your children. So cool! I completely spaced it this year...but maybe next year I'll have my act together. :)

Love the new background. :)

Aaron and crystal said...

How neat to have such an awesome tradition to share and pass on with your kids. I love the wooden shoes... And I am definitely going to have to try the fun recipes too

Julia said...

That is a great idea! I bet your kids love it!

Emily Petty said...

We were going to the shoes this year too, we even have the wooden shoes for Frankie, but then the previous day ended up being too busy and we were too tired. How's that for good parents?! Glad to see that you're more on top of it!

Harmony said...

That is my favorite Christmas movie. I never knew that little girl was American -- she fooled me! But that poem's not German, right, it's Dutch?

Stacey said...

That was fun to see your post about Sinter Klaas (by the way, this is Greg). I work for a Dutch company and have been over there a number of times over the past several years and have learned a bit about their Sinter Klaas customers. (by the way, the white steed's name is Amerigo). And I am now under direct order from Stacey to bring back stroopwafels and Belgium chocolate each time. If you need any new shoes, just let me know, I will be back there a few times before next Dec. 5th.