Monday, December 8, 2008

Sinter Klaasje

My father served his mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Holland, and as a result my brothers and sister and I were raised with a little bit of the Dutch tradition of celebrating Christmas on December 6th. He taught us that Sinter Klaas arrives on an ancient boat and travels from door to door on his magnificent white steed, leaving goodies for all in their wooden shoes (Klompen). (In Holland he arrives from Spain and makes land at Amsterdam.) Each year we always would put treats, as did the Dutch children, like carrots, apples, celery and such for St. Nicholas' horse to eat, and hope that he would in turn give us treats back! We would all sing the song "Sinter Klaasje bona bona bona" (as you have to perform for him in order to receive a gift), and then go to sleep. The next morning we would find such treats in our shoes: traditional ribbon candy, pistachios, and clementines. (Sometimes even hershey kisses!) And then each person got a toy. Oh, boy!




Well, this year I busted out our wooden shoes. We each have a pair that actually fit us- even Aaron! They were all hand-me-downs as people's feet grew and/or bought themselves new ones with cooler painted designs. Here they are in their Klompen! Aaron didn't like to walk in his- not very comfy for little learning feet, so he took them off just as soon as they were on.





And here is what Sinter Klaas brought us!



Elena got a Hello Kitty DVD- she's a HUGE fan right now. Aaron got a farm animal toy, which you can push buttons and hear the animal sound. Oh, boy! Jim got a new Black & Decker drill. (How did Saint Nick know our old one stopped working!?) And I got a new counter-top mixer. Kinda like a Kitchen-Aid. Yippee! Oh, yeah and some really yummy treats too! He left us one of my favorite holiday treats- Stroopwafel! They are somewhat like big round wafers with caramel in between, and if you microwave them for a few seconds the inside gets all melty and gooey and SO GOOD! Especially with a mug of hot chocolate. (I despise calling it "hot cocoa". Pet peeve. Hate, HATE that word!)

Anyway, nowadays, they still celebrate over in Holland. It's a huge deal for them. They close down everything, all the shops, everything. It's kind of like Christmas and Halloween combined. Sinter Klaas wears the cardinal robes as he is a saint from Spain, and he is accompanied by Zwarte Pite (Black Pete, from Morocco). He's the enforcer, shaking a stick of switches to keep the boys and girls in line.



So kids go to the parade all dressed up as one of them, or just paint their faces.



They then have to perform for Sinter Klaasje in order to receive a gift. (This aspect was similar to what I experienced on my mission in Germany.)



Then everybody parties! Every large city has a parade with Sinter Klaas. Maybe someday we'll go over there and experience a true European Christmas. I believe I do have some Dutch heritage, so that would be cool.

Quick Trivia question:
New York City was originally called what?
.
.
.
.
.
Give up?
New Amsterdam!
Back in the day, they used to celebrate Sinter Klaas European style there.
Pretty cool, no?
I have some pretty cool traditional recipes I will post later, like Ollibollen and Lefsa!
Gooi wat in mijn laarsje, Dank U Sinter Klaasje!
(By the way, adding the -je to the end of Sinter Klaas adds an air of affection to it.)

10 comments:

Brandon and Janelle said...

We too celebrated St. Nick this year but he brought us socks and a piece of fruit. So how did you as a child explain to your friends why St. Nick came to your house and not to your friends' houses? My husband is wary of starting this tradition if its going to make things confusing for our children.

Aaron and crystal said...

I love the wooden shoes. I remember your wooden shoes from high school. Its great that the same tradition has been passed on to you. do any of your siblings still do it?

BrookieT said...

I'll answer Janelle first- we were told that he made side trips to America only to families who put their shoes out.
Crystal- they only celebrate it with my parents, as they all still live there. So Sinter Klaas goes just to my parents house where all the shoes are.

Emily Petty said...

wHat a fun post Brooke - I learned a lot and the wooden shoes are too cute - especially the baby ones! I also don't like the word cocoa - glad to know there are others like me! (I also hate the word "biggie" as in Wendy's large size - I refuse to say it when I order - why can't you just call it large?)

Outsideofacat said...

hee hee hee i'm kind of a kitty fan too lately... showing my real age!

hey if you want you can subscribe to my blog. you don't have to of course :-) just mentioning that i added that feature to mine. i'd subscribe to yours but i don't see the feature here.

i just want to make sure we keep in touch. (heart)

Stephanie said...

LOVE IT! My mom lived in Holland for a year as a young girl, and carried on the Sinter Klaas tradition in our family, as well. Growing up, we each had A wooden shoe (we didn't have enough pairs to go around) and we put them by our front door every 6th of Dec. Interestingly enough, though, I never knew much of the history behind Sinter Klaas. And, in all reality, I actually falsely thought he was called Sankt Nikolaus (must be the German in me!) So, thanks for the history lesson on this fabulous holiday! I have two pairs of my own wooden shoes, so we set them out this year, too, and they were filled with goodies for us all. I told Sophie and Inge that Sinter Klaas is a friend of Santa Claus. Lame, huh?! I'll have to work out the story a little better next year. (Good thing Sophie's too young to remember all my blundering Christmas lies and keep them straight!)

Stephanie said...

Oh, and I'm VERY interested in your traditional Dutch recipes!

jaacs said...

That is super cool. It was fun to learn something of the way other countries celebrate this time of year. Thanks for that.

:)

Bugg's mama said...

what a fun tradition! Gee, you guys go all out, it looks like Santa really spoiled you!

Jan said...

Love the tradition -- and you guys did well!