Sunday, November 29, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I was interested to learn that at the original Thanksgiving, they most likely ate venison and squirrel as opposed to wild turkey. Then it actually became a national holiday in the late 1800's, by decree of President Lincoln. At that time the more traditional feasting food was turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and so on. So we are actually eating food normally consumed at that time, versus the assumed "traditional" fare of the 1600's. Fascinating, no?


That being said, we enjoyed our ca. 1800's holiday feast. We went over to Jim's parents, who only live approximately 20 minutes away in a neighboring town. Jim's brother and wife, Cacilda, were also there. They are leaving next week for China for a couple years for government work, so it's the last time we'll see them in a while- unless we decide to starve ourselves and live in a box for a year so we can visit the great wall. (Not against trying that!)
(Dinnertime + Feagin's= Discourses on Politics)
Karen (Jim's mom) made most of the feast. My contributions, although small, garner no small amount of pride on my part. (Sorry, too much Jane Austen lately.) I made 3 pumpkin pies from scratch- from our Halloween pumpkins, as well as a strawberry-rhubarb pie. The rhubarb was from our garden this summer, which I gradually harvested then put in the freezer. I also made some corn muffins, with some added flax-meal and honey. Delicious and nutritious!
Overall it was a great meal and even better was spending precious time with family! I hope everyone else had a Happy Thanksgiving!

8 comments:

Will and Heidi said...

cool pictures. I'm quite impressed with your pie-making! I want to be a better pie maker.

Haley said...

Sounds lovely--your Jane Austen comment made me laugh (out loud) I do that too whenever I have been reading Jane or L.M. (Montgomery) too much :-). I want to come see you guys!

Sarah said...

love it, haley does do that.

OurLittleFamily said...

Glad you had a great Thanksgiving... I am impressed with making your pies. You rock!

Stephanie said...

I love your new blog layout! It's so festive. I am indeed impressed with not only your Jane Austenish writing, but with the fact that you made that many pies from scratch! That is definitely a feat to feel proud of. By this time of year I've usually already made at least one batch of pumpkin soup from Butternut squash, but sadly report that I haven't felt like it yet this year and I have two squashes from my garden patiently waiting for their turn to be devoured! Maybe you've inspired me... but then again maybe I still don't feel like it...

Happy Thanksgiving! Hey, I've been thinking about your post last year about St. Nikolaus and putting out wooden shoes on Dec. 5th to 6th. We've always done it in my family and plan on doing it again this year, but with a little added knowledge about the tradition (thanks to you!) We're going to give each of our kids an article of clothing to wear for the Christmas season this year. We've never done a gift before--just candy, so this ought to be good. I can't wait!

Summer and Hunter said...

Wow, pie queen! My husband calls me that too, but it's after I return home from Costco with a $5 pie. I am also impressed with your Austen-tation (that's Austen +imitation...I am a GENIUS!)

Emily Petty said...

I'm impressed with your cooking...and Austen!

Harmony said...

That looks wonderful! So glad you got to share a holiday with them before they left.

(Oh, and you could also starve and live in a box for a year to come visit us!) :)