Sunday, July 12, 2009

Petting Zoo

I'm a bit behind (or a big behind as my Dad would joke).

July 2nd we went with some friends to a local petting zoo (Elioak) to which I've always wanted to take the kids, but never had had the chance to do so in the past. A good time was had by all. It was difficult keeping them next to me. I brought the stroller, but it was such difficult terrain. Lots of uphill gravel and uneven walkways. So, the kids ran rampant and amock. It's run by a family farm who also sell their produce. Smart business! The best part is that they have many pieces from the Enchanted Forest, which closed down a while ago. Makes it a little more magical.



This is the entry way. It is fairly inexpensive as well.
We started off playing on the toys...



Then we made our way to the animals...You could feed the goats and sheep and whatever else stuck its head out of the fence, with the pellets you could buy for a quarter from a gumball machine. One of the machines really ripped us off. Dangit! (I should pay you back Emily!)

All the animals were fenced in, but there was one area you could go co-mingle with pygmy goats and chickens. My kids have aboslutely no fear when it comes to animals. I should have raised them on a farm, I guess.

In fact, Aaron is a little too unafraid, if you ask me. Much to our surprise, he had gone under the fence and ran right up to the big old horse to pet him. I snapped a photo as I was shouting at him to get out, while laughing. Luckily the horse seemed to be very used to kids. Aaron had horse goo all over him the rest of the afternoon...

Elena was so excited to have her first pony ride. She held on tight all the way around the circle as instructed. (She can listen after all! ...When she wants to.)

Here's the footage of her first pony ride:
You can probably hear little Aaron screaming in the background out of envy. Alas, he is still too little to be atop a large animal.
After a little bit more playing, it was finally time to go home and take a nap. Yay!

3 comments:

OurLittleFamily said...

How cool! Looks like they had a blast!

Joan said...

What a fun family day!

Emily Petty said...

We had such a fun time with you (and please don't think about the silly quarters)! Your kids were so brave with the animals, whereas mine was such one scardy-cat. I still can't believe Aaron crawling into the horse pen before we noticed!