Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Vision and High Temperatures

One day in May I woke up with an idea in my head. Something I had been pondering for a time and a vision formed. I did a little reasearch online, then headed for home depot. You see, I have been wanting for years to have a successful vegetable garden. But because of many factors; abundant wildlife, poor soil, awkward location, etc etc.- I have been unsucessful. Until now! This is the result...
...

Drumroll please!

...

A 4'x4' raised bed garden! Fully enclosed with a net to keep birds and vermine out (supported by pvc), and underneath the box is a fully reinforced steel mesh to keep out burrowers who like to munch roots, as well as a mat of burlap to keep weeds at bay. I must say, I was incredibly proud of my efforts and the results. It took maybe 4 hours tops, and the kids splashed in the pool while I hammered and poured dirt. Jim was pleasantly surprised when he got home from work, expecially since he had no idea it was brewing. This photo was taken a month ago or so, and the plants are doing really well. I do my best to keep it watered in this 100 degree weather.

Which brings me to the next topic at hand. The Heat! They say in the month of June, our area had 16 days of over 90 degree weather. 2 of those days were over 100. So far July is pretty much the same. Yesterday it reached 105, hotter than Vegas, baby! Hopefully today it will only be 100. So we've been doing a lot of swimming.

Ahhhhh, sweet relief!


We don't have a membership at our pool, and it would cost like $16 for all of us to go swimming one time. So I am grateful to have a good friend who lives in an apartment with a pool!
Here are the kids on the 4th of July, waiting for it to get dark.


We had fun watching our local fireworks display. Hope everyone had a happy holiday weekend!

6 comments:

Aaron and crystal said...

Your Idea is pure GENIUS! I love it. there is just something awesome abut growing your own garden.
it has not been quite as hot here but i am grateful too to have a pool I can go bask in if the going get hot :)

Jan said...

Love love love that garden!

And your kiddoes are adorable!!

janae said...

I can't believe it's been so hot out there! 105??! And it so much worse in humidity. Seriously, 105 in Phoenix is bearable, but in Maryland it's miserable! I hope things cool down soon!

ps. I can't believe you did that in 4 hour - you are amazing!

jaacs said...

You are awesome!!! You did a great job on that. :) Ugh. 100+ degrees would be torture. lol. It hasn't hit 100 degrees here since the 50s. I still wish we had an AC in the house instead of fans...but I try not to complain...too much. :) Keep us updated on how your garden looks and when you are able to eat some of the goods.

Chris said...

Good work with the garden!! You are amazing! have fun in the pool--we have had a lot of hot days, but not the humidity. YUCK!! I hope you have a large stock of popsicles :)

Anonymous said...

just caught up on your life...love the garden, we did almost the same thing and stuff is growing...amazing!