Friday, July 23, 2010

Big Four Year Old!

Elena turned 4 on the 6th of July, and we celebrated by throwing a HUGE block party! Just kidding, it was only us and Grandma Feagin. We did a Hello Kitty theme, as Elena feels like she is her own personal friend. (Don't worry we don't promote fantasy worlds beyond the norm with our children.)
I made the cake. It was a risk I had to take after searching several stores who had no cake mold, and I can't afford the lady at work who makes cakes as a side job.
So what did I do? Improvise!!
I went online and got some ideas. I made the cake on a rectangle pan and then froze it overnight. Then I drew the outline on a regular piece of paper and cut it out. The next day I put it on top of the semi-thawed cake and cut around it. Success! Then I used those hand-dandy frosting-in-a-bottle thingies. And voila!
I was very proud of the results. Every time something turns out right I feel more confident to try something else new! And it was right tasty too! Lemony inside, and cream cheesy outside.
However, we did not eat the cake until after our little scavenger hunt. I placed little wrapped Hello Kitty goodies all around the house, inside and outside, along with instructions as to where to find the next present. Aaron and Daddy had a blast helping her find everything. As did she, of course. Here's the loot--
The final prize was a new Hello Kitty bicycle! It's her first bike of any kind, so we get to learn on some training wheels! She loves it to pieces.
We got to open some other frizzits too! (frizzits=presents)
I can't believe my baby is FOUR! **sniff, sniff**
Next year she'll start school!!
crazy, crazy...

8 comments:

OurLittleFamily said...

Happy Birthday. I can't believe she is 4. Time is flying...only a few more months until my little guy is 4.

Cake is super cute. Looks like she had a great birthday!

Emily Petty said...

Happy Birthday to Elena! I can't believe she's 4 either! Your Hello Kitty cake and garden both look fantastic!

jaacs said...

How fun! And great job on the cake, Mama!! Happy Birthday to the big girl!

janae said...

That cake is amazing!!!! I'm soooo impressed. :)

Sarah said...

the cake is awesome good job! Happy birthday Elena!

Meg said...

I can't believe it either. I still remember when you were pregnant with her. Your cake turned out awesome! And also, I just wanted to say that Kiree has that same Dora and Boots and has loved them nearly to death.

Nourishing Creations said...

nice work on the cake!

Summer and Hunter said...

Oh man. You crack me up. CUTE cake and an even CUTER daughter!