Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Flashback!

So, today I went visiting teaching, and the sister I visit lives a bit away from me, so I am not too familiar with her town, even though my in-laws live in the same city limits. (Boy, that was a run-on sentence!) Anyway, my point is, I hadn't gone further up the road from her place before, which eventually leads you into Baltimore. I was asking her about the grocery store next to her apartment and whether the prices were cheap and so on. She said that they only went there for emergencies, but they usually shop at the Aldi up the road. Even cheaper than Wal-mart, she said. ALDI?? I said, I remember those in Germany! No way! Flashback!


Now, those of you who served European missions will remember these cute little stores with ultra-cheap food and stuff, and you'll appreciate my excitement! So, after our visit, we drove up the road on an adventure. We found it eventually, and then I realized my boo-boo. Just like in Europe, you have to have a coin to use a shopping cart. I never carry cash, let alone change. Hmmm, I'm thinking, what am I going to do with the kids? I was too excited to leave and just go to wal-mart, plus we had gone all that way, so I carried Aaron in my arms, and held Elena's hand through the tiny isles. Needless to say, that didn't work very well. She kept taking off to climb the pallets and sitting on all the food. I suppose that would be pretty fun from a 2-year old's viewpoint...Aggravating from mine! Next time I will definitely bring a quarter! As I was juggling the few things I had grabbed from the shelves and Aaron, and trying to check out, I remembered all those times as a missionary coming to these stores and doing my shopping. Fun memories! Luckily they take debit. I suppose I would have spent more if I had not had to limit it to what I could carry. You even have to pay for your bag! 6 cents. I don't mind though, I always bring my own bags to the store for my groceries! I am green like that. Here's our one bag!

I even grabbed something that looked tasty at the checkout- they'll be good with vanilla ice cream! Mmmmmm.

Good old Aldi...

5 comments:

Bugg's mama said...

Okay, I'm so screaming JEALOUS right now! Aldi?!! THE Aldi. Oh, you are too lucky! Buy some Quark for me!

Aaron and crystal said...

WOW that sounds like a really neat store. I am all for places that are cheaper than Wal-Mart!!!

Emily Petty said...

So funny, we're enjoying the Aldi and Aldi-like markets here! There's actually been an Aldi in Silver Spring, MD (bordering DC) for years - had I only known how excited you would be I would have told you. I had an 'interesting' European grocery experience yesterday, I'll have to tell you about sometime...

Stephanie said...

I wish I could have shopped wtih you! I, too, share in the excitement of shopping anywhere that seems German or European. I almost died of anticipation when Salt Lake got an IKEA. Anyhow, what a fun adventure for you! Did they sell much European food?

Harmony said...

Did you know they had those in the US? Too bad there's not one in Columbia. I can imagine how excited you must have been to find that.