Thursday, March 4, 2010

New Calling

I was recently released as Sunday school teacher to the 20 or so youth in our ward. (Almost two years of 12-13 year olds- felt like I was teaching release-time seminary!) My new church calling in which I have been called to serve is as the newly reinstated Activities Committe Chair. We haven't had a committee for a while, so I am the one they've decided to trust to keep it all on track. Needless to say, I am very humbled. I want very much to have some awesome ward activities, so I feel a lot of weight on my shoulders. So, I was hoping that I could get some ideas from everyone- just tell me about your favorite activities that you have had in your wards! Thanks!

5 comments:

Bugg's mama said...

Hey, congrats! On getting released from teaching, I mean. :)

Well, I remember when we had an adult dinner. 4 couples to a table. Each couple brought something different to the dinner. Table setting, main dish, side, dessert.

Then we danced. Awesome.

Jan said...

You'll be fabulous -- can't wait to hear what you get going. *(they are lucky to have you!) xoxo

Meg said...

Activities committee is fun! I'm so glad they've reinstated it and that you're heading it up. I know you'll be awesome! I've never seen this done, but I always thought it'd be cool if we had a ward potluck dinner theatre activity. Either the youth or groups of people/families could do skits for entertainment during a potluck dinner. I'm sure you could throw a couple of musical numbers in there too. My other idea that never happened was speed fellowshipping, but I don't know how well received that would be. But you know, if you feed them they will come :)

Aaron and crystal said...

Congrats!!! it is always humbling when we get a change in callings.

One of the fun things our ward does is a soup and scone night, everyone brings their favorite soup and the ward provides the scones. There is a judges panel and fun and silly awards are given out to the best tasting soup... its a staple in our ward :)

Stephanie said...

Wow! That's a big new job (although your former calling must definitely have been trying, too!). Cory and I were the Activities Chairpeople in our last ward, and it was a lot of work! We had just as much fun, though, because we naturally loved all the activities we planned! (That's the nice thing about being in charge-- you get to make all of the decisions! With the help of your committee, of course...)

Our favorite activity was a "hoot 'n annie" in the fall. It was basically a harvest carnival. We personally cooked homemade chili for 100 people singlehandedly (which I don't recommend, especially if you're 8 months pregnant). We had a pie baking contest which was widely participated in. We had games and face-painting for kids and gunny sack races and bobbing for apples for adults. It was a BLAST!

We also planned a DANCE for the ward Christmas Party. (I know, unheard of!) The older, stuck-in-their-ways type ward members really struggled with this one, but there were LOTS of people in the ward begging for a dance, so we humored them. It was so cool! We served yummy cheesecake and such things and decorated the room nicely with lights and Christmas trees and had little conversation tables scattered around the room with chocolates strewn over them. I doubt such an atrocity will ever be committed again in that ward, but Cory and I enjoyed ourselves!

Did you really want these ideas?

I'm sure you're well equipped for the task at hand-- you're such a fun loving gal! I wish you the best of luck. The nice thing about your calling is that, while it's stressful and busy while you're planning something, you get a little break in between shin digs. Hopefully.