Sunday, March 21, 2010

Ladybugs!!

Part of living in a lush and green part of the country, is dealing with an endless amount and variety of insects. Most of them stay outside, but aaaallll through the winter we have an infestation of ladybugs that wake up and live in our windows.

This is much to Elena's delight. She has become the master hunter of ladybugs and is constantly crawling up on any furniture to look for them in all the windows. Mostly they live in the two windows in our bedroom because of the sunlight we get on that side of the house, so she gets up early just to hunt in our windows. (Above is one of her hauls.) I was concerned for the welfare of the ladybugs she captured, so we made it a game that she relocates them to be with their "friends" in our potted plants in the kitchen windows dowstairs. My hope is that they'll eat the ants which are just beginning to appear indoors. (Noooooo!) I doubt they will, I think they mostly eat aphids. But I am trying a new trick that I read about- spreading cornmeal for the ants. Apparently they take it home and they can't digest it. Supposedly an organic way to deal with them. We'll see.

I also wanted to share a short clip of a day in the life with toddlers...because it makes me laugh.

At least baby powder smells good!

15 comments:

OurLittleFamily said...

Cute lady bugs! That is neat.

Oh my...that is the only positive thing about the baby powder smelling good. Oh my...oh my!

Meg said...

cornmeal eh? I might have to try that. Cornmeal smells way better than raid. bleh!

Stacey said...

We have had an infestation of ants in our food room of all places, cornmeal would be a lot safer than the ant traps we laid out. We'll have to try it. Stupid ants, too bad ladybugs don't eat them. I don't mind ladybugs in my house.

Jan said...

So fun to read you updates. Even about bugs (ack!) -- we have plenty of our own here, too.

Your little ones are SO cute.

Aaron and crystal said...

I have an an absurd infestation of Box elder Bugs! YUCK! I would much rather have lady bugs :)

Bugg's mama said...

hahahaha! THAT is funny. Good video!

We have the same ladybug deal going on in our house, too. Kinda cool, kinda creepy.

Love, Bree

Emily Petty said...

I've never seen ladybugs come indoors. Unbelievable baby powder!

Harmony said...

Oh my goodness, Aaron is so old now! I guess it's really been a long time since I've seen you.

Outsideofacat said...

there was one room in the hospital i was in last year, where there were tons of ladybugs no matter if they hoovered them out of their ceiling corner each day. it was weird.

baby powder... yes that does smell nice.

Outsideofacat said...

there was one room in the hospital i was in last year, where there were tons of ladybugs no matter if they hoovered them out of their ceiling corner each day. it was weird.

baby powder... yes that does smell nice.

Outsideofacat said...

there was one room in the hospital i was in last year, where there were tons of ladybugs no matter if they hoovered them out of their ceiling corner each day. it was weird.

baby powder... yes that does smell nice.

Outsideofacat said...

there was one room in the hospital i was in last year, where there were tons of ladybugs no matter if they hoovered them out of their ceiling corner each day. it was weird.

baby powder... yes that does smell nice.

Outsideofacat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Outsideofacat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Outsideofacat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.