For those of you who are unfamiliar with the nickname for Reno, this is a little play on words. (The Biggest Little City in the World.) Elena and I flew out on the 6th and came back home on the 12th. Short stay, but had lots of fun!
We had planned to all go together (both Jim, I and the kids) but finances were such that...well, need I go on? The reason for our visit was mainly to be present as my brother's temple work was completed. Jason (3rd out of the 4 of us siblings) passed away last January at the age of 23 and had not as yet made temple covenants.
There was no way I was going to not be there, even though as a female I could not act as proxy for him. My father did his Initiatory work in preparation for him to receive his Endowments, which my brother Dan was able to do for him. I have never been in a more full session! It was literally bursting at the seams, with rows of chairs being added as more people came in to join us. It was a very exciting, deep and meaningful morning in the temple. I think he was there too, I felt it, and his acceptance. I think he was ready. It was a very special experience and I felt so blessed to be there.
The rest of the time of our visit we crammed full of as much as possible, although we lost a day or two by being sick. (Of all times and places to get sick- Vacation!) It seems whenever we travel a great distance somebody catches something. I went to the theater with family 4 different times- seeing Twilight: New Moon, Avatar, The Young Victoria, and Leap Year. Some were better than others, but it was being out with family that was the funnest part.
And cousin Adyn too! My, has he gotten big!!



Elena and Jackson had fun rekindling their friendship, since a year previous. It would be fun in an ideal world to live closer to all our family. Just not probable right now...And cuddling with Grandma is neverending fun!



We rode the Ferris Wheel at Scheel's, which Elena still talks about. We also got to go to our cousins, the Worlton's, on the other side of town for a dinner get together and play on their Wii. Fun times, fun times.
The trip went way too fast and I am plotting when I can sneak away again.






6 comments:
Your account of the temple made me cry. I love Elena's new haircut (is it new...I remember it longer). :-).
How amazing that you could fly to Reno and be together as a family for an event like that! So beautiful. It's a sweet ending to a sad passing.
I'm so grateful that you were able to be there at the temple - I know it mattered to you and it mattered to Jason as well.
love you!
Thanks for sharing your experience Brooke. I am glad you were able to be there with your family. What a great day.
Love the picture with Elena sticking her tongue out when she was sitting in the stroller. Cute!
I'm glad you were able to take such a great trip to be with your family - what a wonderful temple experience.
That is really incredible. I have siblings that I hope to see their acceptance sometime in the next life too. Your story gives me hope.
Post a Comment